Heavy rainstorm, flood, defrosting after the spring season can damage sewers and septic tanks! Large volume of storm water and ground water can flood the sewage system, resulting in back-ups in the basement. Only a drain cleaning company can provide the right solution. Blockage in the sewer system can also lead to back-ups. Due to this blockage, it can impact health as it can contaminate drinking water and surface water like ponds, lakes, rivers, streams, reservoirs.
Things to be done immediately to deal with sewer backup
- Open windows to let in fresh air.
- Never flush the toilet if you have a back-up.
- Shut off the electrical supply.
- Ensure children and pets stay at a distance from the sewage.
- Always wear rubber gloves, protective eye wear, boots when handling contaminated sewage system. Never touch the sewage with bare hands. Once you are done with the inspection, wash your hands immediately.
- If the sewage system at your home comes under the municipal sewer system, get in touch with either town public works or water pollution control authority. You can check their official
- In case of a septic tank at home, contact the local health department who will then advice you how to dispose the sewage.
- If you live in a rented house, check if the owner has insurance. If yes, then call the insurance provider who usually have contracts with drain cleaning companies. These companies know how to deal the damaged sewer system. If there is no insurance, contact a professional water damage restoration company.
- If the problem is in the house water drainage system, contact a plumber.
Cleaning a sewer back-up on your own can be an unpleasant job. If you are planning to clean yourself, remember it will involve time and money.
If drain cleaning all by yourself, remember:
- Wear protective eye wear, gloves, boots.
- Wear goggles so that no water enters your eyes.
- Never have direct contact with sewage materials.
- Always wash your hands after you have touched the sewage.
- Wounds, when comes in direct contact with the sewage, must be washed thoroughly, and disinfectant should be used to clean the wounds.
- Mixing bleach with ammonia can turn into a poisonous gas.
- Take photographs and make a list of unwanted materials for insurance purpose.
If you are facing any sewer back-ups, contact professional drain cleaners or professional remediation company or sewer contract companies.